Thursday, June 7, 2007

A doll from the eighties


Strawberry shortcake, originally uploaded by mud pie gourmet.

I am a child of the eighties. I loved Rainbow Brite, Bonkers candy, E.T. cereal (thank goodness they came back with Reese's Cereal), jellies (as in the shoes--have you seen they have some in the dollar section of Target?!??! I'm so tempted), Pee Wee Herman (you know you can do the Tequila dance), and watching the Take on Me video over and over. Occasionally I'll get emails forwarded to me like, "You know you're a child of the eighties if..." I am always hit with nostalgia and wonder how I could have forgotten about such funny, seemingly important (at the time) things.

Well, now children of the eighties are parents, and you can see it when you go to the toy store. They have Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Ponies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake. They know we will buy the toys--not just for nostalgic reasons, but the fact that we can (no more asking mom and dad). Man, I wanted a Cabbage Patch kid so bad. I finally got one, but by that time my friends had FIVE Cabbage Patch Kids. I have to admit, it is nice that my mom still has some of my old toys--B. can play with that Cabbage Patch Kid (it's a preemie and it's birthday is the day before mine--I still remember) and my Strawberry Shortcake dolls when we visit. I don't mind playing with her (B., that is), either.

I love Strawberry Shortcake, not just the doll. With the strawberry season here I knew I had to make my shortcake. I have made so many different recipes of shortcake and S. always asks me why when my usual is always the best. Here's the best.

Strawberry Shortcake

Makes 12 servings

2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
approx. 6 cups sliced strawberries
approx. 1 cup Whipping cream, whipped with about 2 T powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Combine milk and egg in a separate bowl. Add milk and egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Drop onto cookie sheets in large mound (about 2-3 inches in diameter). Cook for 18 minutes. Let cool. Slice in half horizontally. Place a generous dollop of whipped cream on bottom of biscuit, top with just under 1/2 cup of strawberries each. Place top of biscuit back on and add whipped cream to the top with a few more strawberries. Add more or less whipped cream and strawberries to your liking.

I always eat the leftovers for breakfast with a big glass of milk. Hey, it's fruit and an egg!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I liked my Cabbage Patch doll, but I liked my sister's better. Mine had red hair and had this astronaut get-up. Natalie's had blonde hair... I was jealous, but I'd never tell my grandma who bought them for us.

S. said...

Now that our generation is getting old enough to wax nostalgic, it's weird to see some of the things we're getting nostalgic about. The rallying cry for children of the '60s may be "Remember how hard we rocked?" For the '70s it may be "Remember all the awful clothes we wore?" For the '80s I think it might be "Remember all the television we watched?" My sister had the obligatory Strawberry Shortcake birthday party theme, while I was partial to the Transformers/G.I. Joe/He-Man trifecta.

Inspiration Station said...

Ahh memories. Growing up in the eighties. We have strawberry shortcake dolls at pur house, but they are not a favorite as much as Barbie. I have a recipe for the strawberry shortcake but of course I have to try your best. I'm sure it is delicious!

Haley said...

Wayne loves strawberry shortcake. I will definitely try this recipe. It looks delicious.

The Olsons said...

I love your blog. I've tryed some of your recipes and loved them, So keep them coming!
I love Strawberry Short Cake!
I still have my SSC House... Only now it's covered in wallpaper samples. Something I thought would be great idea for a make over at age six. Hope everyone's well we love the updates.